ON LONGING reading

 "The souvenir speaks to a context of origin through a language of longing"


This is a photo I snapped of my dog Macie and my dad at his old apartment. My parents were together when we got her, but after their divorce my dad hardly got to see her. Seeing them together made me a little sad he couldn't see her more often. It was apparent how much he longed for time with his dog and how much he loves her. 

"The souvenir exists as a sample of the now distance experience that only the object can evoke"


This photo was taken while on a walk through Bay Bluffs Park in Pensacola with my girlfriend. The entire trail and surrounding structures were all decorated with unique spray paint art. When I look at this picture, It takes me back to the calm feeling I had at this time on the walk. 

"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the 3D into the miniature that which can be enveloped by the body"


I took this picture in my childhood bedroom. The projector light that was on made this stuffed animal appear as it was glowing. While this frog might seem insignificant, It is tied to a memory with one of my very best friends as I won it on a trip we attended.

"Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss"


This is a photo of my Dad's old cat Leo. Since this photo has been taken, Leo suddenly passed away. I did not actively live with my Dad at the time he had Leo, but photos of him remind me of times I spent at his place. 

"The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated"


I took this picture at my best friend Drayton's old house. At this point in time, she was living in the lower level of her dad's place which felt like it's own apartment. As she now lives in an entirely different state, this photo takes me back to the time I spent in that house with her and her cat. 


Comments

Popular Posts