Memento


 




Artist Statement 

This miniature sculpture reflects the time I spent outside growing up in Charleston, South Carolina. The Spanish Moss I used in this piece is reminiscent of the moss I saw every day draped over the thousands of trees that were always surrounding me. Spanish Moss is also significant to me as my grandmother often collects it to make small set-ups with other flowers or greenery. The wood pieces in this sculpture reflect the appearance of not only my old backyard fences, but the abundance of trees itself. The white wool is a reflection of the sort of modernization of the town I grew up in. Over time growing older, more rustic and local places slowly became grown over with bright and white new things. While this rejuvenation of a town can be a good thing sometimes, I often miss the greenery that once took the place of so many buildings. 


Comments

Popular Posts